Angry crowds gathered again Tuesday in Myanmar - though in much smaller numbers. There were no reports of confrontations with security forces.

The European Union said it is considering sanctions on Myanmar while the U.S. penalized two more generals for links to the military coup, as Western countries sought to press the junta to avoid a violent crackdown after weeks of protests.

Junta leader General Min Aung Hlaing called for energy to be put into reviving the ailing economy, state media reported, a day after a general strike shut businesses and huge crowds gathered despite a warning from authorities that confrontation could get people killed.

U.N. Special Rapporteur Tom Andrews said millions had marched Monday in a "breathtaking" turnout, despite the junta's threat.

"The generals are losing their power to intimidate and with it, their power. It is past time for them to stand down, as the people of Myanmar stand up," Andrews said on Twitter.

Overnight, EU governments showed support for those seeking to reverse the Feb. 1 coup and the release of elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

"We are not prepared to stand by and watch," German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said in Brussels, adding that sanctions could follow if diplomacy failed.

The European Union is considering sanctions that would target businesses owned by the army, but the bloc ruled out any curtailing of its trade preferences to avoid hurting poor workers.

The security forces have shown more restraint since the coup than in earlier confrontations with those pushing for democracy in almost half a century of direct military rule.

Even so, three protesters have been killed - two shot dead in the second city of Mandalay Saturday, and a woman who died Friday after being shot more than a week earlier in the capital, Naypyitaw.

The army has said one police officer died of injuries sustained during the protests. It has accused protesters of provoking violence.

Min Aung Hlaing said authorities were following a democratic path and police used minimal force, such as rubber bullets, to handle the protests, state news media reported.

The army seized power after alleging fraud in Nov. 8 elections in which Suu Kyi's party trounced a pro-military party, detaining her and much of the party leadership. The electoral commission dismissed the fraud complaints.

In Naypyitaw, where the military is headquartered, police detained dozens of protesters Monday when they broke up a procession, a rights group said.

Overall, 684 people had been arrested, charged or sentenced since the coup, the group said.

Myanmar has denounced interference in its affairs.

Coup leader Min Aung Hlaing, in a meeting of the ruling council, called for state spending and imports to be cut and exports increased to boost the economy.

Indonesia is pushing Southeast Asian neighbors to agree on a plan that would keep the junta to its promise of holding elections, with monitors to ensure they are fair and inclusive, three sources familiar with the proposal said.