A fishing boat was battered by rough seas and sank just off Canada's Newfoundland Tuesday. Authorities said at least 10 people had died during the incident. Three crew members were rescued, but 11 others are still missing.

The Spanish fishing boat had a crew of 24 people, including 16 Spaniards, five Peruvians, and three Ghanaians. The large 50-meter fishing boat called the Villa de Pitanxo sailed from Spain's Galicia region. The boat is owned by Grupo Nores, which operates a fishing fleet operating in the seas off Canada, Morocco, Senegal, and Argentina.

Spain's regional representative, Maica Larriba, said rescue operations are still underway. Canada's air force and coast guard operating near Halifax, Nova Scotia, has already dispatched a Hercules-type rescue helicopter and one vessel to search the area for survivors. The ship sank just 450 kilometers off the island of Newfoundland.

Initial reports on Tuesday said that seven people were confirmed dead. The death toll rose to 10 as rescuers recovered three more bodies from the rough seas. Rescue efforts are reportedly being hampered by strong winds, fog, and large waves still battering the area where the vessel had sunk.

Canadian officials said three Cormorant helicopters are assisting in the rescue efforts and are circling the debris area. A C-130 has also been dispatched to conduct sensor sweeps of the area.

The Canadian Coast Guard has dispatched additional vessels, which are still en route to the area. Several Spanish fishing vessels also operating in the area have also joined the rescue operations. A Spanish fishing boat was reportedly the first vessel to arrive at the scene. Crew members of the ship were able to rescue three survivors and recover four bodies from the wreckage.

Authorities said one of the survivors was the ship's 53-year-old captain. His nephew, who was also a crew on board, was also saved. One lifeboat was recovered, and another is still unaccounted for. Spain's central government in the Galicia region said those who were rescued were in a state of hypothermic shock.

The news dealt a devastating blow to the fishing town of Marin in northwestern Galicia. The town's mayor, Maria Ramallo, said the incident was the worst tragedy ever to happen to the small community.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez expressed his condolences and gave his prayers to the crew of the sunken ship. He added that the government is continuing to coordinate with rescuers and the families of the victims.