Donald Trump's new $1.776 billion Justice Department compensation fund is facing growing scrutiny after reports revealed a senior Trump ally privately predicted months earlier that January 6 defendants could eventually receive government payouts.
According to NBC News, Ed Martin told Republican operative Norm Coleman earlier this year that people charged in connection with the January 6 Capitol riot would likely receive millions of dollars in compensation. Martin reportedly estimated the amount could reach roughly $40 million.
At the time, Martin was leading the Justice Department's "weaponization" working group, which reviewed claims that conservatives and Trump allies had been unfairly targeted by federal agencies.
The Justice Department formally announced the "Anti-Weaponization Fund" this week as part of a settlement tied to lawsuits brought by Trump, his sons and the Trump Organization against the IRS over leaked tax returns.
The program allows people who claim they were victims of government "weaponization and lawfare" to apply for compensation or formal apologies.
Martin, a longtime supporter of January 6 defendants, previously defended the idea publicly. "You're damn right I want to pay J6ers," he said in a May interview cited by NBC News. "If you got wronged by the government, then you should be made right."
Trump also defended the initiative this week, saying many January 6 defendants were "horribly treated" and financially devastated by what he described as politically motivated prosecutions.
The fund will be managed by a five-member commission appointed by Todd Blanche. Blanche told lawmakers that anyone claiming unfair treatment by the government could apply, though compensation would not be automatic.
The lack of detailed eligibility rules has triggered criticism from Democrats, legal advocacy groups and even some Republicans.
John Thune, the Senate Majority Leader, told reporters he was "not a big fan" of the initiative and said he did not "see a purpose for that."