Thomas Markle, the father of Meghan Markle, had told London's High Court that his daughter had the intention of ending their relationship when she wrote the "sorrowful" letter that has become the subject of a lawsuit.
The Duchess of Sussex's dad gave his testament Tuesday in a court proceeding seeking a summary judgment on the case Meghan filed against the Associated Newspapers and its news outlet Mail on Sunday.
The 76-year-old former Hollywood lighting director claimed that Meghan's letter was a "criticism" and not an attempt at reconciliation. Thomas said that his daughter never mentioned in the letter that she loves her father or that she worries about his health after his heart attack in 2018.
Consequently, Thomas also said that he was hurt by a People interview featuring five of Meghan's friends who spoke about the letter. They claimed that Meghan told his father, "I love you," and also asked him to stop talking to the press. Thomas claimed that this was a total lie.
Thomas said that the statement from Meghan's friends was a misrepresentation of the "tone and content of the letter." This prompted him to speak to Mail on Sunday, which printed parts of the letter because he wanted to "correct that misrepresentation."
Meghan's father believes his daughter authorized her friends' interview. He also claimed that his daughter wanted the letter to be publicized despite saying in her lawsuit that Mail on Sunday violated her privacy.
Lawyers of the Duchess of Sussex argued in court that Mail on Sunday infringed on Meghan's rights by extracting and printing a "private and confidential" letter. The two-day virtual hearing will give Meghan the chance to end the lawsuit as her legal team believes Associated Newspapers will not win the case.
In October 2020, Meghan asked the High Court to move the lawsuit's trial to the fall of 2021, instead of Jan. 11, 2021, due to a confidential reason. However, Meghan's lawyers will still have to convince Justice Warby of a summary judgment. Lawyers for Associated Newspapers, on the other hand, will argue that a summary judgment will not be suitable in this case.
Essentially, the case could end once a summary judgment has been granted this January. Otherwise, the trial will proceed, with Meghan and Thomas facing off in court in the fall.
Thomas said last year that he wants to have a trial to clear his name. He was disappointed that the judge agreed to move the trial date since he fears he doesn't have enough time left on earth.