Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's reported plans to spend an extended period in Britain are drawing attacks from President Donald Trump's allies, who are portraying the Sussexes' return as a rejection of Trump's America despite no confirmation from the couple that politics is driving the move.

Harry, 41, Meghan, 45, and their children, Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, are expected to spend an extended period in the U.K., according to reports Thursday. The children are also reportedly expected to attend a British school, potentially giving the family its most substantial foothold in Britain since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped away from senior royal duties six years ago.

The reports quickly became political fodder among Trump supporters. Katie Miller, wife of White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller, shared a People article about the Sussexes' plans on X and offered her own explanation for the move.

"They are moving back to Britain because they don't like President Trump," Miller wrote.

Miller subsequently escalated her criticism, alleging without evidence that Meghan "always just wanted to be a celebrity" and claiming the couple was "broke." Neither Harry nor Meghan has publicly said their finances or opposition to Trump prompted the reported return.

Conservative commentator Megyn Kelly also seized on the news after right-wing commentator Dan Wootton characterized the development as a reversal of "Megxit," the label widely used for Harry and Meghan's 2020 departure from royal life.

"We've done our time here in America my dear friend!" Kelly wrote on X.

The political interpretation has gained traction partly because relations between the Sussexes and Trump have deteriorated publicly. Harry, in particular, challenged the president earlier this year after Trump questioned the contribution made by NATO allies during the Afghanistan war.

Trump said in January that allied forces had "stayed a little back" from the front lines while questioning whether NATO countries would support the U.S. in a future conflict. Harry, who served two tours in Afghanistan with the British Army, responded by invoking his own military service and the sacrifices made by allied troops.

"I served there. I made lifelong friends there. And I lost friends there," Harry said in a statement.

Harry added that "every allied nation was obliged to stand with the United States ... in pursuit of our shared security."

Trump's clashes with the Sussexes have extended beyond foreign policy. The president has repeatedly criticized Meghan and, in May, was reported to have told royal biographer Robert Hardman: "Boy, what she's [Meghan] done to that guy [Harry]."

Harry's U.S. immigration status also became a political issue in 2025 after conservative activists raised questions about whether his disclosures of past drug use in his memoir, Spare, should have affected his visa application. Trump ultimately rejected calls to pursue the prince's deportation while taking another swipe at Meghan.

"I don't want to do that. I'll leave him alone. He's got enough problems with his wife. She's terrible," Trump said at the time.