Norwegian local authorities said a man armed with a bow and arrows killed five people near the country's capital city of Oslo on Wednesday before being apprehended and detained by police.

A "confrontation" occurred between policemen and the assailant, according to the Kongsberg municipality police chief, although he did not provide any further details.

Two individuals were injured and taken to a hospital for intensive care, including a police officer who was off duty and inside the establishment where the attack occurred, authorities said.

Oslo Police Chief Oeyvind Aas said a suspect had been restrained and seemed to have acted alone. Authorities will investigate whether it was an act of terror, reports said.

There is no ongoing search for other suspects because police have apprehended the man who carried out the act, police said in a statement. Based on  information, "there was only one person who is responsible for the crime," Aas said.

Erna Solberg, Norway acting prime minister, described the incident as "gruesome" and said it was too soon to guess about the man's motivation.

In comments to Norwegian news agency NTB, prime minister-designate Jonas Gahr Stoere, who is due to assume office Thursday, described the attack as "a cruel and violent deed."

Authorities were called to the scene of the attack at 6:30 p.m., and the suspect was arrested almost half an hour later. The village is located 66 kilometers southwest of Oslo.

The guy roamed throughout the city with arrows in his hands and shooting at people, police said. According to Aas, the man has not yet been interrogated.

A local hotel was made available to those who had been harmed by the incident, as well as their loved ones, by city officials.

More than 10 years ago, right-wing terrorist Anders Behring Breivik detonated a bomb in Oslo's government area before committing a shooting massacre at the summer camp of the left-wing Labor Party's youth program on Utoya island.

The incident claimed the lives of 77 people and shocked Norway.

Breivik was given the maximum punishment under Norwegian law of 21 years in prison, although his sentence can be prolonged as long as he is considered a threat to society.