The Philippines' new first lady, Louise "Liza" Araneta-Marcos, insists she has no desire to join her husband's government, but observers believe she will wield significant power.
Liza, who is tough, smart, and used to getting her way, is widely regarded as the architect of husband Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.'s presidential campaign, after sidelining his influential mother Imelda and older sister Imee, who is a senator.
According to observers and people who know Liza, who did not respond to AFP's interview requests, she will likely accept her duties after he is sworn in on Thursday.
Liza is said to have an icy relationship with Imelda, Bongbong's older sister, who is 92 years old and has been notably missing from his presidential campaign rallies.
Liza and Marcos Jr married in 1993 in Italy, and they have three sons.
They met in New York City in 1989, when she was working as a lawyer and he was in exile after his father was deposed three years before. It was an unlikely pairing.
Liza is from an elite family connected to the political party that opposed the late dictator and helped bring his brutal and corrupt 20-year rule to an end.
Liza previously stated that she did not want to consider what her role would be if her husband were elected president, adding that entering the government was "not [her] thing," having previously worked as a law professor.
Aside from Liza, Marcos stated that his son Sandro is "very excited" to begin his term as representative of Ilocos Norte's first district. His two other sons, Simon and Vinny, are also becoming accustomed to having security around them at all times.
With only four days until President-elect Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.'s inauguration, the Philippine National Police (PNP) had not detected any security threats to the ceremony.
According to the PNP, over 15,000 security personnel will be deployed to secure Marcos' inauguration.
Major General Valeriano De Leon, director of operations for the Philippine National Police, said Task Force Manila Shield would be activated two days before the inauguration.
Checkpoints and chokepoints would be set up at all entry points to Manila for three days beginning June 28, and a gun ban would be imposed in Metro Manila beginning June 27.
Meanwhile, protesters will be treated with the utmost tolerance, according to PNP officer-in-charge Police Lieutenant General Vicente Danao Jr.
Nonetheless, the PNP will continue to work with other regional forces to validate hoax information so that we can take the necessary security measures to thwart any attempt.