Prince William offered one of his most personal updates yet on Catherine, Princess of Wales Friday, saying the royal family "couldn't cope" without her as she continues recovering from cancer and gradually resumes public duties following months away from the spotlight.
Speaking during an appearance on Heart Breakfast radio in London, William described Kate as "an amazing mum and wife" and said the family had leaned heavily on her throughout an extraordinarily difficult period that reshaped daily life inside Kensington Palace.
"Literally, our family couldn't cope without her, so, she's been absolutely stunning, brilliant," William said during the interview, offering a rare glimpse into the private strain the Wales family endured during Kate's treatment and recovery.
The comments marked another significant public step in Kate's carefully managed return to royal life after she revealed in March 2024 that she had been diagnosed with cancer and had begun chemotherapy treatment.
Her announcement came after weeks of speculation surrounding her prolonged absence from public engagements. Kensington Palace maintained strict privacy around her condition, declining to disclose the type of cancer involved and repeatedly urging restraint around public speculation.
By November 2024, Kate confirmed she had completed chemotherapy. Earlier this year, she announced she was in remission and focusing on recovery while cautiously returning to royal responsibilities.
William's remarks Friday suggested the recovery process remains ongoing, even as the Princess of Wales resumes a more visible role inside the monarchy.
"She's been through so much in the last couple of years, particularly," William said. "I'm really glad it went really well."
The prince was referring to Kate's recent visit to Italy, her first overseas engagement since her cancer treatment. The trip carried symbolic importance for both the palace and royal observers, serving as a test of her stamina and readiness to reenter international royal duties.
William said Kate approached the trip with characteristic intensity and preparation.
"She wanted to go and do lots of research," he said. "She spends, God knows how much time now, looking through all the paperwork."
He added that after returning home, "I'm so pleased it went well for her, and yeah, I think she came back buzzing."
Still, William acknowledged the physical demands that continue to accompany Kate's recovery, saying he has focused on making sure she remains "okay and rested" as she rebuilds her schedule.
When asked directly how the princess was doing now, William responded simply: "She's in good form."
Kate herself has spoken publicly about the emotional and psychological toll of cancer treatment.
In a statement released after completing chemotherapy in late 2024, she described the experience in unusually personal language for a senior royal.
"My path to healing and full recovery is long and I must continue to take each day as it comes," Kate said at the time. "The cancer journey is complex, scary and unpredictable for everyone, especially those closest to you."
She added that the illness forced her to confront "your own vulnerabilities in a way you have never considered before."
The Princess of Wales later said the experience had changed both her and William's outlook on family life, writing that it reminded them "to reflect and be grateful for the simple yet important things in life, which so many of us often take for granted. Of simply loving and being loved."
Friday's radio appearance also briefly pulled back the curtain on family life inside the Wales household.
William joked that Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis would likely be listening at home while getting ready for the day, while Prince George was away at boarding school.
"Charlotte, Louis, if you're listening, make sure you're on time, please," William joked. "Make sure you're not fighting over who's listening to what this morning."
The lighthearted exchange contrasted sharply with the intensity of the past year, during which the royal family faced simultaneous health crises involving both Kate and King Charles III, who also disclosed a cancer diagnosis in 2024.