Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office and is being held in police custody while searches continue at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk, according to Thames Valley Police, placing King Charles III's brother at the center of an active criminal investigation.
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said that "as part of the investigation" officers had arrested "a man in his sixties from Norfolk" and were "carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk." The force added that the man "remains in police custody at this time," and said it would not name the arrested person "as per national guidance."
Police also warned that the matter is now "active" and urged caution in reporting "to avoid being in contempt of court." The statement did not provide further details about the nature of the alleged misconduct.
According to The Tab, Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody at Sandringham in Norfolk, where six police vehicles were reportedly seen earlier in the day. The outlet said it was not immediately clear where he is being held while awaiting questioning.
The arrest immediately raised questions about detention time limits and custodial conditions. Danny Shaw, described as a policing commentator, told BBC Radio 5 Live that the "absolute longest" a suspect can be held is 96 hours, but only if multiple extensions are approved by senior officers and a Magistrates' Court. Shaw noted that most suspects are held for 12 or 24 hours before being charged or released pending further investigation.
Under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE), custody time limits are strictly regulated:
- Initial detention typically up to 24 hours
- Extensions require senior officer authorization
- Further extensions beyond 36 hours require Magistrates' Court approval
- Absolute maximum of 96 hours without charge
The Tab reported that Mountbatten-Windsor would receive "no special treatment" while in custody, stating he would be held in "a cell in a custody suite" with only "a bed and a toilet" while awaiting interview.
The investigation has drawn the monarchy directly into the unfolding legal process. According to The Tab, the King issued a statement after news of the arrest became public. "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew and suspicion of misconduct in public office," the King said.
He added that what follows is "the full, fair and proper process" to be handled by "the appropriate authorities," and said they would have full and wholehearted support and co-operation. "Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," the statement continued, adding that it would not be appropriate to comment further while proceedings are ongoing.
Legal experts note that arrest on suspicion does not equate to guilt, and police have not disclosed whether a charging decision is imminent. Thames Valley Police reiterated that searches remain ongoing in Berkshire and Norfolk, with no timetable provided for interview or potential charges.