King Charles III and Prince William were not informed in advance that police planned to arrest Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, according to BBC reporting, after officers detained the 66-year-old on suspicion of misconduct in public office and later released him under investigation.
Thames Valley Police confirmed Thursday that they had "taken a man in his sixties from Norfolk into custody" as part of an active inquiry. In a statement cited by the Guardian's live reporting, the force said the suspect was later "released under investigation" while enquiries continue.
The arrest, which unfolded in Norfolk on 19 February, has intensified scrutiny of the monarchy because it concerns alleged misuse of a public role. The Guardian reported that unmarked police vehicles were seen at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate shortly after 8 a.m., as officers executed searches.
According to BBC reporting, the arrest is not linked to sexual offence allegations. Investigators are instead examining claims that Andrew disclosed confidential information to Jeffrey Epstein while serving in an official capacity. Being named in previously released Epstein-related files does not in itself establish criminal misconduct.
The BBC also reported that Thames Valley Police notified the Home Office ahead of the arrest but did not inform the King or Buckingham Palace in advance. The Guardian's live blog cited the National Police Chiefs' Council as saying police informed the Home Office 30 minutes before the arrest "in accordance with standard procedures."
In a formal response relayed by the Guardian's live coverage, the King said he had learned "with the deepest concern" of the news. He added: "What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities."
He continued, "Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," and said it would not be appropriate to comment further while proceedings remain active.
Thames Valley Police stated that searches in Norfolk had been completed, while "investigations at his previous residence, the Royal Lodge located in Windsor, Berkshire, are still in progress," according to the same statement quoted by the Guardian. Officers were seen beyond the gates of Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said police recognized "significant public interest" and would provide updates "at the appropriate time." The force also reiterated that it would not identify the arrested individual "as per national guidance" and warned that reporting must avoid contempt of court.
Andrew was photographed leaving Aylsham Police Station on Thursday evening after nearly 12 hours of questioning, according to the Guardian's live updates. He was seen in the back seat of a vehicle as he departed, though police did not disclose details of the interview.
Misconduct in public office is a common-law offence that typically concerns alleged wrongdoing by an individual exercising public duties and is regarded as complex to prosecute. BBC live reporting described it as an allegation that someone acting in a public role behaved in a "gravely improper" manner while aware of the wrongdoing.