Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing to establish a permanent home base in the United Kingdom this month while retaining their California residence, a move that would bring their children back to Britain six years after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped away from senior royal duties.
Under the reported arrangement, Harry and Meghan would remain private individuals rather than return as working members of the Royal Family. They would keep their Montecito, Calif., estate and a holiday property in Portugal while securing an undisclosed residence in Britain, effectively creating the transatlantic lifestyle the couple had sought when they announced their royal departure.
Their children would also establish a more substantial connection to the U.K. Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, are reportedly expected to attend an unnamed British school beginning in September, giving the Sussex family its first regular domestic foothold in the country since losing the use of Frogmore Cottage in 2023.
King Charles III was informed of the family's plans on Aug. 16 and is said to welcome the opportunity for more private contact with his grandchildren. The reported understanding, however, doesn't include a restoration of official duties for Harry or Meghan, preserving the institutional separation established after their departure.
That distinction is significant because the late Queen Elizabeth II rejected the couple's original proposal for a "half in, half out" model under which they could pursue independent commercial activities while continuing some royal responsibilities. The arrangement now being reported would resemble that transatlantic lifestyle geographically, but not constitutionally: Harry and Meghan would live partly in Britain without representing the monarchy.
The move would also raise fresh questions about security. Harry lost automatic taxpayer-funded police protection after leaving his working-royal role and has spent years challenging how British authorities assess the security risks facing him and his family.
A spokesperson for the Sussexes declined to comment on how security would be handled under the reported arrangement. Establishing a regular British residence would potentially make those arrangements more consequential because Meghan and the children would be spending considerably more time in the country.
The couple's changing relationship with the U.S. political environment has also emerged as part of the backdrop to the move. Harry has publicly clashed with President Donald Trump, including after Trump made remarks in January about the role played by NATO allies during the Afghanistan war.
"I served there," Harry said in response, referring to his own military service in Afghanistan. The Duke said he had made lifelong friends and lost fellow service members during the conflict.
Trump subsequently criticized Meghan during a May conversation with royal biographer Robert Hardman, continuing a public antagonism between the president and the Sussexes. The couple are reportedly increasingly uncomfortable with the polarized American political climate, though their professional and commercial operations would continue internationally.
Meghan is expected to continue developing her lifestyle business while Harry devotes more time to British charitable commitments, including WellChild. Supporters of the couple say their ability to maintain homes in multiple countries reflects the financial independence they sought when leaving royal duties.
Harry's relationship with Charles has meanwhile shown signs of improvement, including a recent private reunion during the Sussex family's summer visit to Britain. His relationship with Prince William remains substantially more difficult, according to people familiar with the family dynamic.
A source close to the family said in July there had been no meaningful movement between the brothers and no direct contact. Harry has nevertheless repeatedly expressed an interest in repairing family relationships, saying in 2025 that he would "love a reconciliation" because there was no point in continuing the conflict.
There were earlier indications that Harry was considering spending more time in Britain. Singer Joss Stone said after the 2025 WellChild Awards that the Duke had asked detailed questions about her decision to return to Britain from Nashville, including questions about schools and the importance of community for children.